Monday, April 10, 2006

More things that slither


On Sunday afternoon, Evan and his dad (or "pappy" as Evan has taken to calling him), headed out to Platte River State Park for their weekly nature exploration. While I was studying hard at the Meadowlark Coffee House, the cell phone rang. Evan excitedly told me that he had caught his first snake! A small ringneck -- they had spotted one of this last year, but weren't quick enough to catch it. This time they found two, and managed to catch both of them.

I asked Evan if he was going to bring them home. No, after being doused in snake pee (actually a foul-smelling musk), they decided to let them go. Thank goodness they practice catch-and-release. Evan was convinced that the larger of the two was the same snake they spotted last spring, now grown bigger. He named them Blackjack and Brownjack.

Besides the ringneck snakes, they also spotted a dead mouse, a turkey, and a turkey vulture. Wow, I'm sorry I missed out . . . ahem.

No comments: