Friday, April 04, 2008

practicum and language

This week, I begin my practicum with Lincoln City Libraries' youth services department. My two-hour practicum course is required for the master's in library science degree and over the next three months I'll be spending 90 hours gaining experience in public library service to children and young adults.

Last night I assisted with Bennett Martin Public Library's first Prime Time event of the year. Designed as a series of events where

Low-literacy, low-income Spanish-speaking families gather in libraries to read award-winning children's books with storytellers and scholars. Prime Time fosters high academic expectations for children and encourages parents to speak and read English.
There was a nice turnout of approximately 40 family members who enjoyed a pizza dinner followed by storytelling and discussion for the adults and older children, with a separate storytime and crafts for the preschool and under set. Spanish-speaking volunteers are a big asset in both the presentations. Building upon my pretty rudimentary high school Spanish is one of my goals. Some basic vocabulary and phrases come back to me, but I tend to confuse select words with French, which I took in college. I really envy people who can speak multiple languages, and that's why I want to encourage Evan to enroll with me this fall in our local Saturday morning Korean language school.

No comments: